If you want to invest in good toys, add building block toys to your list. Children love them because it is not just fun but also challenging. However, other than just being an entertainment tool, building block toys offer several benefits for your kids.
5 BENEFITS OF BUILDING BLOCK TOYS
1. Better Motor SkillsUsing building blocks requires your child to put them in a position so that they do not topple over. As a result, hand-eye coordination improves the more the child plays. The act of grasping the blocks itself serves as good practice for gripping objects, and strengthens the fingers and hands of the child.
2. Mental StimulationYour child learns to think logically when playing with building blocks. After a few tries at building something and watching the blocks topple over, your child will learn that the blocks have to be arranged and placed properly to prevent that from happening. An older child will also realize that a stronger base can be made if you arrange most of the blocks at the bottom. Logical thinking skills are crucial in a child’s intellectual development.
3. Math And Vocabulary SkillsStudies have shown that the inclusion of building blocks in playtime helps develop language and mathematical skills among children. Language skills develop when the child learns the names of the colors, shapes and sizes of building blocks. Mathematical skills are sharpened when a child learns to add up or subtract the number of building blocks required to build a structure. As such, it’s easy to see why building blocks are a great preschool learning tool.
4. Improves CreativityChildren learn how to create different structures using building blocks, and this stimulates their creative mind. Thus building blocks offer a good base to encourage a child’s creative abilities and not just the logical.
5. Encourages Positive Social InteractionBuilding blocks are the type of toys that a child can share with others. By encouraging them to play together they learn how to interact and cooperate. This is among the first forms of teamwork your child can engage in.
Do not underestimate the learning benefits that come with playing simple toys such as building blocks.
BEST BUILDING BLOCKS FOR TODDLERS
1. Mega Bloks First Builders Big Building Bag
2. Melissa & Doug 100-Piece Wood Blocks Set
BEST BUILDING BLOCKS FOR PRESCHOOLERS (AND OLDER)
1. Magna-Tiles® Clear Colors 100 Piece Set
2. Magformers Rainbow 30 Piece Set