I also get very ticked off when I see one kid watching his/her sibling playing games on the computer. It's like the eyes are permanently glued to the screen whether or not it is their turn to play. And the worst is when they start whining about how someone else got more computer time or is on the computer too long and they start to fight and bicker over it.
However, I understand that in this day and age, computers are in their very fibers. So, I decided to revamp my computer rules in the hope that the time they spend on the computer, is a more fruitful one.
So, these are my rules, clearly written on a whiteboard hanging in my living room.
If you can't really see it, this is what it says:
- You can ONLY use the computer if/when you are given an assignment to do or if you've earned a special privilege.
- COMPUTER FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. NOT ENTERTAINMENT
- Work/Study before using the computer (They have assigned house chores, plus some homeschooling).
- Unauthorized websites = banned for 1 week.
- No watching others play computer.
- Sign-up sheet (So there is no more quarreling on who gets to play. They now have to book their time).
- 1 1/2 hours only (Yes, still have time as to how long they can use the computer).
- Whining, complaining, fighting = No access to computer for 1 day.
Here is the list for this week. I'll try to share my list here every week. Maybe, you'll find this useful.
* This list is for my kids aged 5 -11 years old.
freekidsgames/games/11-11- online-games/Patcha-Online- Kids-Game.html
freekidsgames/games/11-11- online-games/brain-racer-math- game.html
Do you have problems with your kid's computer habits?