Monday, May 27, 2013

Keep Track Of Your Children's Computer Time

The school holidays are here. Only for 2 weeks but I know what's going to happen... COMPUTER MADNESS. I can bet every day my kids are going to come to me with this question "Mom, can I play the computer?" 


Well, I had computer rules a while back. Some are still being followed while others have kinda been forgotten. So, it was time to revise the computer rules.

COMPUTER RULES

  • STUDY BEFORE PLAY.
    I've already told my kids they need to plan what they want to learn these 2 weeks. An idea would be to learn stuff they don't learn in school like music, languages, art and creative writing. It is a time to explore topics that aren't covered in school. It can also be a time to identify weaknesses and work on those (since exam results are out). Another idea is to choose what workbooks they want to work on and then create a study schedule.
  • 6 HOURS A WEEK.
    That's basically an hour every day (except Sunday). It is very timely that I came across these Technology Punch Cards Printables. It's a great way to keep track of how many hours the kids are on the computer. I told my kids that this 1 hour they have is purely for their entertainment. They can play games and watch their shows. Other online educational work I give them will not be counted in this 6 hours.
  • MINUS 30 MINUTES FOR EACH CHORE NOT DONE.
    I've already identified chores that they need to do like taking out the trash, folding clothes, keeping their room tidy, vacuuming and mopping the rooms, keeping the tables clutter free. If one chore is not done, 30 minutes will be taken away from ALL of them. This way there will be no finger pointing. They have to work as a team. It doesn't matter to me who takes out or doesn't take out the trash. All I care is that it is done!
 So, that's the plan for this school break. Do you have problems with your children using the computer excessively?

2 comments:

  1. Great Rules. I agree with all of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, great rules, but not so feasible for my soon-to-be 3 yo...may b useful when she starts P1...

    ReplyDelete

Don't go without saying something. I would love to read your comments. BUT no junk comments please.