The thing is there is no motivation to dress up when all I'm going to do is get dirty and sweaty from cooking and cleaning. Oh yes, I do go out but that is just to send and pick up the kids from school. I don't really get out of the car.
I used to have some nice clothes but after pregnancy, parts of my body have expanded, especially my chest and shoulder areas. Let's not even talk about the tummy. I remember a few weeks after having my 1st child, I tried to put on a button down blouse and I just couldn't get the button any where near the button hole. That was so depressing. But I knew then that I had to say goodbye to many of my nice shirts and dresses. I'm now at 4 kids and I know my body ain't going back to my pre-kid days.
So, some of us moms (me included) tend to settle for simple and unappealing when it comes to dressing; Well, because it is just more practical. However, I'm going to repent and try to shake off the grungy and sloppy look. I'm getting older but I don't have to look it right?
FASHION TIPS FOR MOMS
- Don't just fill up your drawers with oversized t-shirts and sweatpants. Invest in some nice tunics. Try to be a little chic when you go out. It really does make you feel better about yourself. If you wear frumpy, you feel frumpy, and that's no fun at all.
- It is so common for moms to put everybody else first. Don't neglect yourself. You deserve to feel good and look good too.
- Shape wear garments helps to pull together your mommy tummy and whatever else that is loose.
- Wear clothes that fit instead of oversize clothes.
- Cardigan style sweaters that stay loose in the front works great in adding a little zing to your style.
- Amy Tara Koch, author of Bump It Up recommends leggings, T-shirt dresses and ballet flats instead of sweatpants that make you look heavy. Consider stretch denim.
- Get a clue from Princess Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge. She looks good as a new mom. Whatever she wears seems to sell out.
- Make sure you have 1 or 2 nice evening dresses. It is so easy to get cooped up in the house. Find at least one occasion a year where you can dress elegantly and treat yourself to a nice night out. Just look at some evening dresses online such as Dress First and tell me if wearing something like that won't boost your self esteem?
- Empire waistline dresses helps to hide your waistline.