My son just had a birthday. Of course there must be a cake. Some of the kids were asking for ice cream cake. Buying one is quite expensive. So, once again, I had to turn to Mr. Google to see if I could make one myself. This is what I came up with at the end: Oreo Ice Cream Cake.
It's pretty easy to make and the kids (plus friends) gave it a thumbs up.
Here's how I did it:
1. Baked a Lemon Cake. Of course I didn't do it from scratch. Just got a box of the shelves (Pillsbury). Most people use chocolate cake but the tangy lemon really blended nicely with my fudge topping.
2. Slice the cake into 2 layers so you can sandwich the ice cream in between. Put one layer at the bottom of your cake tray.
3. Crush a packet of Oreos. If you want more Oreos, just crush more. Mix it with your choice of ice cream. Vanilla, chocolate or Cookies N Cream flavor works well.
4. The ice cream has to be a little bit soft. Scoop out the ice cream and make a layer on top of the cake.
5. Put another layer of cake on top of the ice cream. Put back in the freezer so the ice cream hardens up.
6. Meanwhile, make some chocolate hot fudge . You can find a recipe that you like but I used this recepi:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 tbs butter
7. Pour the chocolate hot fudge on top of the cake layer. Return the cake to the freezer.
8. Just before you serve the cake, top off the cake with swirls of whip cream. Add a little bit more crushed Oreos to that.
I hope my directions make sense. You're basically just putting one layer on top of another. Modify to your liking.
Leave a comment to tell me what you think.