Monday, April 12, 2010

Buns, Buns and More Homemade Buns

Friday I made cinnamon buns. Yummm!



Today, I made sausage buns (and a few cinnammon buns).


It's bun fever in my home now. Really putting that breadmaker I bought a few months ago to work.

This is the dough recipe I used. I found it online and it turned out really good. I will just list down the ingredients. For further details on how to make it, you can click here: Harvest cinnamon rolls.

Dough Recipe:
1 cup milk - warm (they asked to heat it in microwave but I didn't)
1/4 cup warm water
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 eggs, room temperature and beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 cups bread flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 teaspoons instant active dry yeast
1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten (optional)* (I didn't use it)

The cinnamon buns I made came out really huge. I admit I'm no expert at spreading the dough, rolling and cutting them. It turned out to be quite a messy job. If you really want to do it right, I guess you can check out YouTube. Maybe that's what I should have done in the first place. Hahaha. This video below shows you how to spread the dough so it forms a rectangle. The guy has another video that shows you how to roll the dough after that.



If you want to make the sausage buns, you just take some dough and roll it in your hands (kinda like when you play with playdoh and roll it to make it look like little snakes). Then you take a sausage (Americans call them hot dog) and twist the dough around it.

MAMAS PARENTING TIP:
Just a warning about sausage buns that you buy at the store: This one time a friend of mine bought sausage buns for a "makan" gathering, I discovered that it was moldy inside. Some people had already eaten some. They didn't know because they didn't look inside. Also, on a few occasions my kids got a stomach ache after eating sausage buns we bought at the store. I suspect the sausages were not fresh anymore and that's why they were selling it for cheap. So, do think twice if you're going to buy sausage buns at the store.

6 comments:

  1. I bought the Tesco breadmaker immediately after reading about yours :-) I only know how to make loaf bread with it. I'm wondering... how did you make those buns using the breadmaker? Did you just use the Dough Programme and bake the buns separately in an oven? They look absolutely delicious. No wonder it's "bun fever" in your house...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ChloeRuoyi:
    Yes, I used the dough programme and then baked the buns in the oven. Already the buns I made yesterday going to finish. DH said must limit this bun making to once a week, or else everybody going to get fat. hahahaah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, these look yummy!! We have 2 birthdays this week, so I'm baking cake, but I might try these next week. Thanks for stopping by my blog again. I'll have to read your comment to my daughter. She feels like the coolest girl in the world that so many people think her hair is cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your buns look really good. You are really fantastic. You have 4 kids and I just don't know how you manage to find the time to bake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your buns look really good. You are really fantastic. You have 4 kids and I just don't know how you manage to find the time to bake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi CloeRuoyi,
    Did u just mix the ingredient? Can u share with me how to make the dough. I dont have bread mixer, can i still do it?

    ReplyDelete

Don't go without saying something. I would love to read your comments. BUT no junk comments please.