Friday, February 10, 2006

Where Do You Hide?

I have a very good friend who runs her own English reading & writing center from home. Well, my girl just started going there and she is having lots of fun learning. Anyway, when I picked up my friend yesterday to go to the "pasar malam," she asked my DH a very strange question: "Does your wife spend a lot of time in the toilet?"
Now what would inspire such a question?

Well, it seems that one of the activities she had done with my daughter (as follow up to a story they had just read) was for her to draw a picture of a hiding place in her house. This is what she drew:


Interpretation of the drawing:
1. Where does Damus hide? Under the table.
2. Where does Daddy hide? Sleeping on the bed.
3. Where does Mommy hide? In the toilet. Plus she wears a crown.

So, does that make me queen of the toilet? HAH! Of course not. See, children think differently from adults. While we would laugh at the fact that she drew a crown on Mommy and she happens to be sitting on the "throne", she would innocently tell you that she drew a crown coz' in her eyes, Mommy is a Queen. Sigh! The difference between an innocent mind and a twisted one. Hahaha.
But there are also other lessons to learn from this:

1. Be careful what you do at home. Your children are watching.
I admit that sometimes (yes, sometimes) Mommy does hide in the toilet. I have a habit of reading in the loo. One day as I was heading to my "throne" with a book, my girl yells out "Mommy, I already told you, don't read in the toilet. The book might fall in." Hmm... once in a while I wonder who is the Mommy and who is the child.

2. You can't keep secrets when you have young children.
Having the world know that "Mommy hides in the toilet" of course caused only minor embarrassment. But it's a reminder that once in a while, it's good to sit down with your children and review what they can tell and cannot tell others. Cannot tell would be something like what color bra mommy wears or that daddy farts a lot.

Anyway, this reminds me of the Baby Blues Comic strips. They do such a good job highlighting the humor in typical family life. I find it easy to relate to the comic characters as they resemble my own family in many ways. Reading their experiences brings back memories of my own parenting exploits. If you are a Baby Blues fan, check out my bookshop for a special treat of Baby Blues Scrapbooks.

Last of all, if you are looking for a place where your children can learn and improve their english, do consider calling up my friend. She is a great teacher and has a reputation of bringing out the best in a child. She has a special talent that allows her to work with even the most difficult children. You will find her contact details at my Parent's Resource page under the heading "Offline Reading Help".

RELATED POSTS
1. How Come It's Not Funny When It Happens To Me?

6 comments:

  1. i can see that your friend do have the capability to bring out the potential of kids in expressing themselves....btw, nice drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aurelia:
    It is a good hiding place isn't it? There's a legit excuse to be in there that no one can argue. heheh.

    Two Little Fellas:
    Yeah, my friend is pretty good. How about posting some of the things your kids have drawn too? It's an interesting way to see the world through their eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. I like to hide in the toilet too but often the kids find my hiding place and the toddler would sometimes even come and stand in front of me on the throne! though sometimes he is good and stands at the doorway looking forlorn. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we do read in the toilet too. And my girl immitates us by sitting in her own potty with her own story book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha. Looks like many people have the same hiding place as me. I just hope they don't start to call the toilet "Mummy's office" :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. With kids, there's no more secrest at home... So, you better watch out.

    Very creative of your friend.. reveals the way a child think or observes.

    Toilet is not my parking space... I don't have the luxury of spending time there.. boys will start looking for me :P

    ReplyDelete

Don't go without saying something. I would love to read your comments. BUT no junk comments please.