Monday, September 21, 2009

Baby Poop During Birth

Some people wonder, "do baby's poop in the mother's womb?" The answer is NO.

However, it can happen just before or during labor. That's what happened with babyK. I don't know if she actually inhaled the mixture of meconium and amniotic fluid. The doctor or nurses didn't bother to tell me what was going on. All I know is that she was whisked away and then kept under observation for 2 hours. Even after asking "What's wrong with the baby? What's the complication?" All I got out of them was "Your baby is okay".

So, what's the danger in baby pooping in your womb? Well, meconium is what we call baby's first poop. It is sticky, thick, and dark green. If baby inhales it, baby might have difficulty breathing as it can obstruct the airways or cause an infection. You might also want to know that the real term for this is called meconium aspiration syndrome (MAS).

And to think I had to learn this through the internet. Such a simple explanation and yet they couldn't give it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't go without saying something. I would love to read your comments. BUT no junk comments please.