Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Rambutan Picnics

My kids are very excited that the rambutans on our tree are starting to turn red. Actually, I'm the most excited. I've fond memories of feasting under this tree as a child. Of course, eating too much I would always end up coughing.

Well, my son caught me under the tree munching my heart out and whined "why didn't you invite me?" I then made a date with my kids to meet me under the rambutan tree at 5pm the next day. When the time came for our date, I walked out onto the garden and saw this (the picture above) greeting me. The kids brought out the picnic carpets and umbrellas (even though it wasn't hot) and was ready for their rambutan picnic.

Of course I had to do all the work and open the rambutans for them to eat. BUT it was an enjoyable time. There are still more rambutans turning red and I still sneak out to have a little snack. Although the recommended way to eat is to pluck a whole bunch, open them, wash them and chill them in the fridge, I feel they taste best and sweetest when eaten under the rambutan tree. I'm sure the mosquitoes agree I taste best that way too :)


MAMAS PARENTING TIP
  • It doesn't take much to make your children happy. 
  • You don't need to spend a lot of money to make memories.
p.s: If you've never had rambutans before, you need to make a trip to Malaysia. We've got lots of yummy fruits. They are seasonal though so make sure you come at the right time.

1 comment:

  1. I love rambutan too but cannot eat too much. Sore throat and cough will visit me after that!! :p

    ReplyDelete

Don't go without saying something. I would love to read your comments. BUT no junk comments please.