Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Ambitions

Mommy: Son, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Son: I want to be a postman.
Mommy: Huh, a postman? Why a postman?
Son: Because I like to deliver letters.
Mommy: That's all?
Son: And I get to ride a motorbike!

You know how you hear of parents wanting their children to be doctors or lawyers? How about you? Do you have high dreams for your children?
When I heard that my child wanted to be a postman, I admit I was not very enthusiastic. As parents, you hope your child will choose a profession that will be highly reputable, plus if possible, bring in a big, fat check. Am I right?
Of course my son is only 4 years old. And so I quickly dismiss his intentions of being a postman as I know, sometime in the future, his ambitions are bound to change again. Just a few months ago he wanted to be a policeman. Also a few days ago, I heard he wanted to be a Pokemon trainer and part of the Fantastic Four team member.
I'm trying very hard not to be bias towards any profession, nor look down on any. Although we do not wish our children to end up as a garbage man, you still have to teach your children to be grateful for them.
And so my question this time is:
  • What sort of profession do you see your child doing?
  • What sort of profession will you object to? (Of course anything that gets you in jail or immoral activities are a clear no-no, what else?)
  • Will you give your child 100% freedom of choice to choose their own vocation?

3 comments:

  1. no matter what profession they choose we gotto support. Like me last time, i told my mum i wanna be a vet she said nope. I said I wanna do this she said nope. All also No No No. Now, I don't know what I'm doing. Total lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sasha:
    So what did she want you to do? And what did you end up doing? Now me with 3 kids, everyday trying to be lost so I can have some quiet time away from them. Hahahaha. So sometimes being lost is not so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim wants be a chef and Em wants to be a doc. I am sure they will change their mind when they grow up. As long as they are happy, I am happy.

    ReplyDelete

Don't go without saying something. I would love to read your comments. BUT no junk comments please.