I was cracking my head the other day thinking what to do with the chicken I had thawed out. I was in the mood to do something different. Well, different from my usual ginger chicken or chicken with mushroom. I decided to try kunyit" (turmeric) chicken and it actually turned out quite nice. The family gives it a thumbs up so here is the recipe.
- Chicken - In this case I used about 1/2 chicken.
- 2-3 potatoes, quartered.
- 1-2 large onions, quartered.
- Garlic - chopped to tiny pieces. How much garlic depends on how much you like it. I love it so I put in plenty.
- Ginger - Just a little bit, cut into strips.
- 3-4 serai (lemon grass).
- Turmeric powder.
- Salt and sugar.
How I cooked it?
- Rubbed a little salt on the chicken.
- Then used about 2 tsp of turmeric powder and rubbed that over the chicken too.
- Left the chicken to season for about 1 hour (or more).
- Boiled the potatoes until cooked. Set it aside.
- Put oil in the work and fry the garlic, onion, ginger and 'serai' until fragrant.
- Add in the chicken and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Pour in enough water for the chicken to simmer.
- Add salt and sugar to taste.
- Close the wok with a lid and let simmer till gravy thickens a bit.
- Just before you turn off the fire, add in the cooked potatoes and stir it around.
p.s.: Even though I pounded the ends of the 'serai' to get the flavor out, my DH says the 'serai' taste is still too mild. Any ideas on how to get the 'serai' flavor out more?
p.s.s.: Did you know that research shows turmeric to be a spice that has antibiotic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anticarcinogenic and antimicrobial properties? Some of the benefits when ingesting it are improving blood circulation, purifying the blood, strengthens the digestive system and improving the liver function.
It can also help clear up acne problem. Use it externally by making a paste and applying it on the acne. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water. Here are some options on how to make the paste:
- Ground fresh turmeric root with yogurt.
- Turmeric powder mixed with mint juice.
- Grounded neem leaves with turmeric powder.
- Add 1tsp of turmeric powder, 1tsp of sandalwood powder and milk.
Beware of the yellow stain in leaves behind. Some say cleansing milk will get rid of the stain.