Thursday, October 04, 2012

Mee Jawa

I had kept some prawn shells in the freezer to make prawn stock and so, I thought it was time to make some Mee Jawa. Turned out very nice, a bit too spicy for my taste coz' I added in too much red chilli. Next time, I will reduce the chilli so my kids can enjoy it too.

So this time, only the adults enjoyed it. For the kids, I made "kicap" sauce for them. My kids had to stay back in school for co-curriculum activities so I packed the noodles for them. Added in some fried garlic, fried shallots, spring onion, 'taugeh' (beansprout) and fishball. "Kicap" sauce was really simple: light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, pork lard oil (can substitute with garlic oil instead), fish sauce, oyster sauce and a dash of pepper.


Okay, back to Mee Jawa. You pretty much just have to prepare the sauce and the 'extras' that you want to put on your yellow noodles. My 'extras' include fried tauhu (sliced), hard boiled eggs, prawns, potatoes (boiled), taugeh (beansprouts), spring onions, fried garlic and shallots. Oh, and lime. You must squeeze lime onto your noodles for that extra 'oomph' taste.
My mom had shredded some cucumber. That was quite a nice addition too. My DH wanted to put in the 'tikus' and crunchy keropok thing that you find in mamak rojak. Unfortunately, I don't know where to get those.


Okay, now for the recipe which I got from kuali.com

INGREDIENTS
1 kg yellow noodles
1 kg medium prawns
500g sweet potatoes, mashed

2-3 heaped tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup oil
Salt and pepper
2.5liter water

PASTE (Blend)
3 stalks lemon grass
6 shallots
4 pip garlic
4 cm ginger
4 cm galangal
5 red chillies

PRAWN STOCK
Boil prawns in 2.5 liter water.
When prawns are cooked (which is fairly quick, don't boil too long or they'll shrink and be hard), remove them.
Shell the prawns and throw the shells back into the pot to make the prawn stock. Throw in whatever prawns shells you've been keeping in the fridge.
Continue boiling for about 30 minutes.
Discard the shells.

DIRECTIONS
Heat up oil in the wok and fry the paste until fragrant.
Add it to your prawn stock, let it simmer.
Stir in the mashed sweet potatoes.
Add in cornstarch to thicken the sauce. Make sure you add a little water to the cornstarch first before putting it into the sauce. Don't throw in the cornflour powder into the pot or you'll get lumps.
Season with sugar and salt.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't go without saying something. I would love to read your comments. BUT no junk comments please.