Friday, July 10, 2009

Gestational Diabetes Update

I did the BSP test (Blood Sugar Profile) on Tuesday. They poked my finger 4 times that day to record 4 readings. Once at 8am, 12 pm, 4pm and 9pm. For the first reading, I had to fast 10 hours before. Subsequent readings required me to fast 2 hours before.

So, what was my result (in mmol/L)?
5.1, 3.8, 4.8 and 3.7

I believe a normal reading for blood glucose levels are between 5-7. So, my readings were pretty good. Met up with the doctor the day after the BSP test and she was satisfied. Said that it is what they are looking for.

So, what did I eat that day?
Breakfast = 2 pieces of wholegrain toast bread with butter and a few raisins.
Lunch = Sandwiches. 2 pieces of wholegrain bread with either a sausage or chicken ham, scrambled eggs, cucumber, tomatoes, and salad leaf.
Dinner = "Bangkuang char" with salad leaf.

Seeing my blood sugar level was pretty low during the test, I've loosened up a bit. Still worried but not as worried. Still eating in small portions - less rice, more veges and meat (protein). Also allowed small treats of rambutans and mangoes.

I have to do another BSP test in 2 weeks. We'll see if I can keep my sugar level at a steady low.

p.s.: Doc did a scan and said baby is probably a girl. But she also added "kalau keluar lain, tak tau lah". So what that means is it looks like a girl but there's the chance she could be wrong. Well, although not 100% sure, it's better than not knowing at all. At least now I have a reason to bring out all the girly clothes that I've been keeping for 8 years (yeah, hand-me-downs of jie-jie K). Can't believe I've been hanging on to them for so many years.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't go without saying something. I would love to read your comments. BUT no junk comments please.