If you are looking for a simple yet yummy butter cake, try this recipe I found on Martha Stewarts' website. It makes two 9-inch cake layers.
BUTTER CAKE INGREDIENTS
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups milk
HOW TO BAKE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit (about 180 degrees celcius).
- Rub some butter on your cake pans (recommended 9-by-2-inch round cake pans). Dust with flour.
- Sift together flours, baking powder, and salt.
- In your mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla.
- Turn mixer to low speed. Alternately add in the flour mixture, followed by milk. Begin and end with the flour.
- Divide batter between the 2 pans. Bake until cakes are golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. My oven is a small one, so it took between 15-20 minutes.
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp milk or water
1 tbsp orange juice and some grated rind (you could use lemon too)
Cream butter and sugar first. Next add the milk and orange juice.
I had to do 2 rounds of this coz' the recipe here wasn't enough for me to cover the whole cake.
Okay, so my decorating skills aren't that great. I don't have the proper tools for it too. Also, baby woke up so I had to hurry and finish it. BUT the cake does taste good. It was gone in 24 hours.
p.s. I found a site that offers step-by-step online videos on how to decorate cakes and cookies. They also have how-to articles, ideas, tips & tricks on cake decorating. Get instant access to dozens and dozens of cakes, cookies and candies online training videos, stories, recipes, pictures and so much more. It's truly a one-of-a-kind membership site.
Click here to check it out: BIRTHDAY CAKE AND COOKIE DECORATING IDEAS