Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Parent's Food For Thought

"If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging".

~Diane Loomans

What a beautiful poem. Definately an "alarm clock" to remind me of all the things I need to improve on. I believe as parents, the toughest thing for us to do is to STOP being too busy for our kids. Fortunately, many of us still have the opportunity to do things right with our children. Let us not wait till our twilight years to ask "If I had my child to raise all over again...." Rather, let's ask ourselves this question every night that we may make tomorrow a more enjoyable day for both parents and children.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't go without saying something. I would love to read your comments. BUT no junk comments please.