Tuesday, August 30, 2011

What Online Course Would You Take?

There is no end to learning. Education is a lifelong pursuit. I'm sure you've heard these sayings before.

I was very happy when I finally graduated from university. I was happy I didn't have to take any more exams. If I had to do university all over again, I would definitely chose a different field of study. I have a bachelor's degree in psychology but I have not done anything related to it. I don't think I gained any skills either. All I learned were the theories and didn't do much practical work. I don't remember much what I learned in the classes. However, I know I improved in my writing because I had to write lots and lots of research papers.
I think online degree programs in music would be very beneficial to me now. So many parents want their children to learn music. Music teachers can really earn a good living. I was looking around for a music teacher and the fees really made my jaw drop.

It is not that difficult to get a degree or certification these days. In today's tech world, you can easily sign up for online courses. Not needing to attend classes physically makes this the ideal solution for people who:
  • don't have the funds to travel far or overseas to attend university
  • are working but want to upgrade their skills by taking work-related courses so they can advance their carrier
  • can only do studies part-time
  • who are busy taking care of a young family but also want to pursue an education
  • want to take courses for personal interests during their free time

You might wonder if these online degrees are legitimate or a scam? Yes, that is one thing you have to be careful about.
  • Make sure the college or university is accredited
  • Check to see if the credits you earned are transferable
  • Make sure they have a legitimate phone number
  • If it is too good to be true, it probably is. If you don't have to work much for it, you better think twice.
  • Do they withhold information until after you pay? Legitimate programs will provide you as much information as possible so you can make a wise decision.
  • Check the legitimacy of the program with The Database of Accredited Post-secondary Institutions and Programs or the Better Business Bureau

As convenient as online education is, I believe that physically attending a university is an unforgettable experience. The social aspect of university life should not be missed (if you can help it). However, if you've already been there and done that, online courses is a good option for furthering education.

If you have a soon-to-be college bound child, you can use the Federal Student Aid College Finder to help you choose a university that fits your needs.
http://studentaid2.ed.gov/gotocollege/collegefinder/advanced_find.asp

So, if you could take a course online, what would you learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't go without saying something. I would love to read your comments. BUT no junk comments please.