Thursday, August 27, 2009

Happy 8th Birthday

We celebrated K's 8th birthday day before yesterday. Nothing fancy, just a special dinner cooked to her request.

I'm grateful that my kids have never asked for a big birthday party. The last "big" party we had was when kokoD turned 1 and K turned 3. It was a 2-in-1 party coz' both of their birthdays are in August. We booked an indoor futsal area and had lots of friends attend. Since then all their birthdays have been really simple - specially cooked lunch/dinner at home cooked by me. I also try to take them somewhere special. Last year I took them to a movie. This year we visited Gardenia's Bread factory. They are also given a budget of RM5 to spend on whatever they like.

In front of the Gardenia Bread factory with their goody bags.

This was K's specially requested birthday dinner:

Mommy's Fried Chicken Drumsticks (finger licking good MFC), chicken fingers, mash potatoes with gravy, french fries and coleslaw.

K enjoyed her chicken drumsticks and coleslaw to the max. I feel blessed that my children can enjoy a relatively inexpensive birthday meal (considering it would have cost me much, much more if ordered from KFC). I guess she also saw how mommy (with her big, big tummy) spent many hours in the kitchen preparing her meal and that made her appreciate the dinner more.

Mama's Parenting Tip on birthdays:
  • Don't have to throw an elaborate birthday party each year for your children. You can still make it special in small ways.
  • Start a family birthday tradition to make the birthday child feel extra special. For example: a special day out for the birthday child, a new dress/shirt, trip to the bookstore to select a book of their choice, birthday child picks the menu for the day, treasure hunt to find presents bought by family members etc....


5 comments:

  1. Happy bday K.
    U hav a superb mum. May u be blessed with gd health, happiness & luck always.

    BTW Lian, do u hv link to more information abt the gardenia bread factory visit? we went to high 5 Breadtwn but nvr heard Gardenia had one, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Physiomom:
    I didn't organize the gardenia tour but I can put you in touch with the person that did. I was just tagging along. Email me at limailian at gmail dot com and I will give you the contact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant agree with u more abt an inexpensive bday celebration! Abilash was so happy with just his fav meal that kakak made, simple gifts fr his bro, kakak & his fav gift of cash fr his Amma & daddy.

    Salute u inspite of being so heavily preggo, u still managed to cook a feast for her & her cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday K. You're really blessed coz you have such a wonderful mummy who cooked all your favorite food. And your mummy is one frugal mummy. I must learn from her :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thks Lian for the contact to gardenia !

    ReplyDelete

Don't go without saying something. I would love to read your comments. BUT no junk comments please.