Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Peanut Tong Sui

A long time ago, there used to be a shop in the Seremban wet market, very near the famous beef noodle shop, that sold this white peanut "tong sui" (soupy kind of dessert). I remember it was yummy. They didn't always have it though. I don't know if the shop is still there. I'll have to go back and check.

Anyway, my brother mentioned some time back that he managed to cook it himself. As I was in the grocery store the other day, I saw the white peanuts, already shelled. So tempting I decided to try cooking it too.

The recipe is real simple. All you need to add is rock sugar. The trick is to get the peanuts nice and soft. The best and fastest way is to use a pressure cooker. Unfortunately, I don't have one. So I soaked the peanuts overnight. Then I boiled it in my slow cooker (turned it on high) and let it cook, and cook, and cook till the peanuts were fairly soft. It took about 6 hours.

My DH has never had this dessert before. He is used to eating the other kind of peanut "tong sui" which is brown in color, thick like smooth peanut butter. So when I asked him "How is it?", he answered "How is it suppose to be? It feels like eating peanuts." Sigh! Well, I enjoyed it. But I don't think I'll make it again unless I have a pressure cooker :) Hmmm... excuse to get one?

1 comment:

  1. I always like this type of peanut dessert. Yours looked very yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Don't go without saying something. I would love to read your comments. BUT no junk comments please.