Thursday, February 03, 2011

Chinese New Year Wishes

During Christmas, the children look forward to opening presents under the Christmas tree. Chinese New Year, the kids look forward to receiving their "ang pows".

Previously, it was always DH that distributed the "ang pows". This year, I distributed it to the kids. Instead of just handing it over to them, I had my 4 kids line up (from oldest to youngest) and had each of them come up with a Chinese New Year wish for me (apart from the usual "Kong Hei Fatt Choy). You know, chinese have lots of sayings like:
  • Sui Sui Ping An (everlasting peace year after year)
  • Shen Ti Jian Kang (good health)
  • Wan Shi Ru Yi (good luck)
There is more but I don't know all. I shamely admit that my chinese is very limited. I'm English educated. Yeah, a real "banana". If you know of any CNY greetings, please do add it here as a comment. Educate me.

Anyway, back to my story. So the kids had to come up with a New Year's greeting. This is what I got:
  • Jiejie K: Wishing you prosperity this Chinese New Year (she read it off an "ang pow" envelop. So much for creativity).
  • D1: I wish you long life. (That's nice that he doesn't want me to die early).
  • D2: I wish you life. I asked "what kind of life?" He answered "Funny life". Okayyyyy, I'll take it as he wants me to laugh more.
  • BabyK: She can't talk yet so I just asked he to give me a kiss.
So, my Chinese New Year wish for all of you out there:
Peace in your heart, money jiggling in your pocket, harmony in your family, strength and good health, more babies, more patience, more smiles and less stress.

1 comment:

  1. I like your CNY wishes. Thank you. I seriously need all of them
    "Peace in your heart, money jiggling in your pocket, harmony in your family, strength and good health, more babies, more patience, more smiles and less stress."

    except more babies. hehehe!

    ReplyDelete

Don't go without saying something. I would love to read your comments. BUT no junk comments please.