"This is making me a headache!"
That lovely line above came out of my now 5yo's mouth when he was frustrated over the daunting task of trying to learn how to tie his shoes. He blurted the sentence out then tossed the sneaker across the room. I walked over to him and talked to him about his frustration (Heck, getting those loops just right is hard work -- smile). I explained to him that while it is OK to get angry and frustrated that there are proper ways to do it.
Anger is a completely natural response to frustration. Let's face it, life is filled with things that can become frustrating, and most of those things are totally out of our control. What we do control is how we deal with those issues. In this message that I also share with my Journey to Joy students, I wanted to touch on positive ways that we can deal with, express and release our anger and frustration in positive ways.
- Think it out - When you begin to feel angry -- sit down, relax and then try to think about how you can solve the issue.
- Talk it out - Talk to a friend, coach, counselor, or a church member. Expressing your anger by talking to someone about it is a great way to get the anger out.
- Write it out - Keep a journal about your feelings. It really helps to get your feeling out of our head and heart and onto paper.
- Let it out - Find a place that is secluded and SCREAM!! Yes, let it out - you can scream into a pillow, punch a pillow or stomp. Sometimes a good temper tantrum is in order.
- Channel it out - Find some creative way to channel your feelings. Listen to music, paint, turn on the music and dance! There are many ways to creatively channel out anger.
- Chill out - Try listening to calming music, taking in slow deep breaths, meditating or doing yoga.
- Work it out - Do something physical. Get out and run, go to the gym or go for a brisk walk.
For more help, instantly access your instantly access your Journey To Joy tools for a happier and more fulfilled you. This inspiring eBook with accompanying audio recordings, worksheets and easy-to-apply action steps shows you you how to eliminate stress and lead a productive and satisfying life.