Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Bunga Tongkeng Soup

This "bunga tongkeng" is sure hard to find. My mom bought this from Seremban the other day. The only place I know that sells this was a stall at SS2 Chao Yang pasar malam (night market). But that was 2 years ago. Haven't been there since I moved, so I don't know if they still sell it.

Anyway, this bunga tongkeng (sorry, don't know what it's called in English or Chinese) is good for making soup. Mom said the lady that sold it mentioned it could also be fried with egg.


Here is the soup recipe.
Ingredients:
  • Bunga Tongkeng
  • Minced pork (flavor it with a little salt, soy sauce and oyster sauce)
  • Garlic (some minced and some whole)
  • Onions (some sliced and one quartered)
  • Salt
How to cook?
  1. Boil water in the pot
  2. Fry the minced garlic and onion slices till golden and then add into the soup.
  3. Put the bunga tongkeng into the soup.
  4. Add some garlic pips and quartered onions.
  5. Drop in little scoops (or balls) of minced pork.
  6. At the end, add salt to taste.
I believe you can use pork ribs ("phai kuat") to replace the minced pork. Mom says bunga tongkeng is good for the eyes. Sorry I can't quote any medical or science guru on this. So you'll just have to take my mom's word on this.

If anyone knows where in PJ/KL you can get this bunga tongkeng, let me know.

5 comments:

  1. I've never seen or tasted this soup before in my life. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this flower vege too. It's called "yeh fah" something in Chinese. I normally make anchovies soup with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know this vege... but really long time never see it sells in market. Mom used to boil soup for us last time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello, I sell this plant for RM12 per pot. Interested? please go to http://jualanshiros.blogspot.com

    We are in KL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Indonesian it called Ketongkeng. It is a species of plant that growing well in house guardrail plant. But today it is became rare. Because some people do not interest to cultivate it.exactly is is contains some necessary vitamins n antioxidant. For recover free radical

    ReplyDelete

Don't go without saying something. I would love to read your comments. BUT no junk comments please.