So, do you know the early signs of autism?
Autistic children basically have problems in these areas:
- Lack of communication and language problems - very quiet, limited vocabulary, delayed speech, don't smile or coo as babies.
- Social impairment - they are in their own world, problems with eye contact and facial expression, unresponsive when you try to connect with them.
- Repetitive body movements and behaviors such as hand flapping.
- They may show a fanatical obsession over a certain topic or fixate on certain parts of an object. For example: staring at the ceiling fan or hours turning a switch on and off.
- Hyper sensitive to touch, sound, smells or taste - some don't like to be hugged or are irritated by certain types of clothing. Loud sounds can be distressing too.
- Cannot stray away from routines
- Classic autism
- Asperger's symdrome
- Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS)
- Rett Syndrome
- Childhood Disintegrative Disorder
More information when you get THE ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO AUTISM.
For Malaysians, you can seek more help at NASOM TeleAutism.