Thursday, November 20, 2008

Get Your Children Thinking

Ripe table grapes ready to be eatenImage via WikipediaThis is a conversation my children had while eating grapes:

K: The grapes amah bought is seedless. Hey kokoD, did you ever think why the grapes are seedless?
KokoD: Maybe they cut it and take it out.
K: How can? If they cut it, then they have to put it back together again. Do you see any masking tape? You can't eat masking tape. So, how come the grapes don't have seed? Mommy, how come the grapes are seedless?
Mommy: Maybe they are engineered that way. The scientist figured out how to grow them seedless. Also there are many kinds of grapes, like there are many kinds of bananas. (Yes ah, I also not sure but "tembak-lah", meaning shooting blindly).

Mamas Parenting Tip
I've always tried to instill a sense of curiosity in my children by saying things like "hey, did you ever think why..." or "why do you think...." When children question the things they see or experience around them, then they cultivate a spirit of learning. I was happy to hear my girl asked that question about the seedless grape. Helps me know that she is thinking.





Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't go without saying something. I would love to read your comments. BUT no junk comments please.