If you haven't heard yet, warnings have been issued on the use of baby slings. The warnings were sparked by the death of a 2 day old baby in South Australia. The mother was carrying the baby in a sling underneath her shirt and jumper. Although the autopsy report doesn't conclusively say the sling was the cause of the baby's death, but it was considered a risk factor.
So now, professors and specialists are sounding the warning for mothers to be careful when using baby slings.The US Consumer Product Safety Commission would like parents to be aware that soft fabric slings have the potential to suffocate a baby, especially those that are 4 months old and below.
Pouch slings, especially, can pose a health hazard if baby is held in a position that blocks the airways. So, the call is for parents to constantly check on the baby when using the sling. Make sure their nose and mouth are not covered.
If you are looking for the best baby carrier, check these out. They come highly recommended: