My plan is to have a yearly photobook for the family. That way, we can all look back and see how our family has changed, grown, progressed etc.... The children can look back and remember the good times. As for me, I'm losing a lot of brain cells as I grow older. I don't remember a lot of things. The photobooks will remind me of how cute they were when they were young. It's also a way to blackmail them later e.g. "You don't listen to me, I show this embarrassing photo to your girlfriend". Hahahah. Just kidding. I think it will also be a way for the children to see things through my eyes coz' I'm the one doing the journaling.
Here are some of the pages I put together.
MAMAS PARENTING TIPS (or rather, photobook tips)
- Keep a family journal. I use to keep a journal for each child. I thought when they grew up, I could present them their own journals. Then I figured it would be easier to just have a family journal. I'm sure the kids would also like to read about what's happening to their siblings, not just themselves. Plus, we are all connected. So one journal for everybody.
- Try to write your journal weekly. If not, do a monthly update. This will be most helpful when you put together your annual photobook. Just cut and paste your journal to match the photos.
- Take lots of pictures every month. That way if you forget to write in your journal, you have pictures to jog your memory.
- Organize your photos properly. For me, I have a main folder to mark the year. Then I have sub-folders to mark the months. For example, I have a folder named "2009". And then that folder will be divided into "Jan", "Feb", "Mar" etc....
- Learn how to take good pictures. When it comes to scrapbooking, taking beautiful pictures will enhance your design. Click this affiliate link to check out some Digital Photography Secrets.
- If you do digital scrapbooking, make sure you're doing it in the right size: 3600pixels x 3600pixels. I made a mistake of doing mine in 500 x 500. That is fine for web publishing but if you want to print it out, it is too small. If you do it in the bigger size, you can always downsize it for web publishing. But if you do it in a smaller size, you cannot blow it up later on. Well, you can but it will be all blurry. Click here to learn about a very handy and easy to use scrapbooking software that will help you design beautiful pages for your photobook. I just got it and thank goodness I had some digi-scraps from using this software that I could plop into my photobook.
- If you are having problems designing a page, you'll need some inspiration. Your inspiration is here: 500 Scrapbooking Sketches. Yup, you don't have to crack your head on how to do a layout. Just pick a sketch and design away.
- Some photobook companies require you to download their program to design the book. If that's the case, create some pages when you are free. Then when they have a great discount or promotion, your photobook is ready to be uploaded.
- If you don't like the idea of downloading a program but would rather using an online software, check this affiliate link out. Join Mixbook and receive a FREE photo book!